Monday, February 5, 2007

Canadian Idol Audition

As some of you know I recently auditioned for Canadian Idol. My original goal was not to make it to Toronto and be on the TV program, but to put myself in the experience of a professional audition as I had never been through something like this. Leading up to the audition (Feb 2nd at Metrotown Mall in Burnaby) I practised 2-3 songs with my guitar (yes they allowed instruments) and felt 75% prepared going in. I don't know if you know the Idol process but there are 2 preliminary rounds. So we lined up and got our numbers and waited. We arrived at the venue at about 10:45 a.m. and waited until 6 p.m. to audition. My brother Caleb and I auditioned together so I wasn't as nervous as I would've been had he not been there. I found out later that the judge I auditioned in front of was a V.I.P. (he is the producer at the canadian idol recording studio) and critiqued each person who auditioned (there were 5 of us in total). Anyway, everyone sang their song and the judge went over all of us after it was all over (Caleb sang imagine by John Lennon and did an amazing job) except me and then he asked everyone to leave except me. Now to roll back a bit, originally, I had planned on playing guitar and singing a Beatles song which you may know: with a little help from my friends, but for the 1st song the judge said, can you sing it without the guitar? I agreed and did the best I could after sort of suggesting I hadn't really practised it without. So he calls me back for the 2nd song (bittersweet symphony by the Verve), he wanted to hear something with the instrument. The 2nd song i had planned wasn't as well practised as I would have liked so instead I played one of my own songs that the band performs and we've been rehearsing forever. This was a big risk but in the end it paid off because he said about 5 times that he thought the song was really good & well written BUT he didn't feel I was right for the Canadian Idol competition as a singer. Anyway, I asked him if I could give him a CD and he said yes (this being all pre-planned in my head), and he also said that I'd probably be hearing from him.
So long story short: - the bad news is I didn't make the TV show - the good news is, I had an excellent audition (Caleb said it was the best he'd ever heard me sing) and a professional producer thought I was a really good songwriter. So there you go, eh?
Hopefully you are having a nice day, and I'll hear from you soon!
love,Marty

No comments: